03 August 2009

Blogging for the Sake of Blogging

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to write when I signed into Blogger today; I just knew I wanted to blog something. Sadly, I doubt anyone actually reads this blog anymore - or at least, there's no one commenting on anything I write, no matter how volatile or long-winded it is. I suppose my life right now is more boring than I first thought. I do have one new idea I'm toying with, which would essentially be a political supplement to my personal blog. A friend and I are considering a "dueling banjos"-style website with commentary from both sides of the aisle. He's a Democrat, I'm a Republican, and we've been friends for years. I think it would be both fun and informative to start trying to shape myself into an opinion leader for the future on political and apolitical issues of today. So we'll see. If there are any requests on topics, feel free to post them in the comments section of this post, and I'll add them to my list. I also started a new book the other day, and I found myself quite unable to put it down last night, so I was up until 2:30am reading "Riptide" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They have a very intellectual style and tone to their writing, which I find stimulating (basically, I need to keep a good dictionary on hand when reading them, and for someone like me with a decent vocabulary already, that's saying something). The book itself is about a salvage operation to drain the Water Pit, a booby-trapped treasure hoarde off the coast of Maine supposedly commissioned by extremely nasty pirate "Red Ned Ockham." The tale uses as its basis the story of the Oak Island Money Pit, a shaft carved into the ground on Oak Island, Nova Scotia discovered initially in 1795. According to the legends, the prospectors dug down to discover a coverstone with coded writing on it which has been translated to read "Forty Feet Below Two Million Pounds Are Buried." After plying up the stone and digging some more, they hit a wooden platform covering the shaft. They broke through it, and by the next morning, the shaft had flooded to the top with seawater. Since then, every attempt to pump out the water has failed, and attempts to dig adjoining shafts, bore holes, and seal or even find the cracks allowing water into the Money Pit have all ended in the failure of the missions, the loss of millions of dollars of investments, and in some cases, the deaths of the investigators. Some believe that the Templar Treasures, lost works of Shakespeare, or even the Holy Grail could lie beneath Oak Island. Is there a treasure? Who kows, but Oak Island remains one of the final big mysteries on planet Earth.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew - I thought I'd leave you a comment! I came across your blog with your mention of the Oak Island treasure hunt. I run http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk and have been captivated by the mystery since I was a child. I've yet to read Riptide, but I think I'll give it a go.

    There are some new investors in Oak Island and as soon as their Treasure Trove Licence is approved, they will begin excavations. You can read more here: http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/content/view/36/49/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo. I love all types of mysteries, but the Oak Island one has had me facinated for years. It's hard to believe that so many people have been stymied for so long trying to deduce the island's secrets, even with the level of technology we hold.

    I also enjoyed your site - it's one of the places I read to get some quick facts on the Oak Island legend.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew, I do still read your blog...I just haven't been much of a commenter anywhere lately. Heck, I haven't been much of a blogger!

    ReplyDelete