11 June 2009

US Department of the Navy

So, I am actually going kind of crazy here at home with no job yet, so it got me to thinking: what haven't I considered and looked into yet jobwise? I came up with two new angles: 1. Teach English overseas. Pros: There's almost always availability for such a program, free housing and really cheap cost of living in someplace like South Korea so I'd be able to teach for a year and save (according to estimates I saw) something like $20,000 per year to come back to the States with. I do enjoy teaching, although I am more of an older-kids' teacher than a K-3rd grade type of teacher, so it would be at least something I'm relatively comfortable doing. I'd get to travel to a new place in the world, experience a new culture, and do something not a ton of people do, while also doing something humanitarian-based. Cons: The very reason they get students to do programs like this is because you're put into an extremely poverty-stricken area most times. The accomodations, while free, will almost certainly be not of great quality. I also know a couple people who've done such programs before, and while they say it's rewarding, it also has its big downsides. And frankly, I do enjoy my creature Americanized comforts of my home here, like being able to watch the ball game at night and whatnot. 2. Join the armed forces, particularly the US Navy. Pros: Money. They help pay off my student loans, give me on-the-job training to become an officer (since I have a bachelor's degree), and offer lots of after-commission benefits. I'd get the experience I desperately need right now in a field like public affairs, pay down my loans, save some extra money for after the service, and be able to transition into a civilian career within 6 years or so if I chose to. Theoretically, a position like this would also enable me to see new areas of the world - though if I chose the public affairs career path through the Navy, I'm not so sure how much ship-time I'd see. Cons: I've never been all that good at taking orders, and frankly the rigidity and demand I can only assume a job in the Navy (or Army, Air Force, or Marines) requires kind of scares the crap outta me. Plus, to go and work in library sciences or in baseball like I'm currently dreaming of I'd need either a master's degree or experience in baseball, neither of which I would get while in service, so my current dreams would get put on hold. I'd be curious to hear what the very, very few readers of this blog think about the subject - feel free to comment or to drop me an email!

2 comments:

  1. Since my family has such a long background in the service, obviously I can tell you that serving in the military is a great and noble thing, blah, blah.

    I think you could fit in there if you wanted to, but it's like I told you the last time you brought this up to me; you will bristle hard at someone getting in your face and yelling at you to do whatever they say, whenever they say it, for the simple fact that they told you so. Ultimately, you're going to have to do something, but you've already made all the points I'd make. This doesn't lead you where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. teaching english abroad = awesome! you learn a lot by living in a foreign country, both about their language and culture and about yourself. you can test your personal limits, and do some traveling on the side while you're at it. :) it's usually not very hard work (not really anyway), but can be very rewarding. the most money to be made with it is somewhere like korea. i have a high school friend who's there right now if you'd like her email address to ask some questions. there are lots of programs in europe too though, although you won't make much money, and you would have had to apply for them a few months ago to be considered for this school year.
    even if you did have primitive liviing conditions for a year, it would be good for you, even if you missed american comforts. it's very grounding to see how less fortunate populations live, and how they are often very happy with what they have. you've got the rest of your life to watch baseball on TV :) and, you can still stay up to speed with all of it anyway with the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete