17 September 2008

Happy Constitution Day!

Today marks the 221st anniversary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States of America. Way back in 1787, the 12 original states decided to dump the Articles of Confederation and adopt a plan for a central government that has carried on and helped shape one of the strongest countries in the world. As my personal way of celebrating this day, I decided to help pass along my knowledge to the next generation of young Americans - namely three classes of 5th and 6th grade students at the charter school in Mesa where my mom works. Each classroom gave me about 30 minutes or so to talk about the Constitution, how the government is set up, and some of the basic rights contained in the 27 amendments. All the kids were very receptive, had some killer questions (better than some college students I know), and the experience was fun. I wish more people would get excited about our country, because it seems like all anyone wants to do is complain about it. Write your representatives, get your voice out there, and be the change you wish to see in your country!

2 comments:

  1. Did you see Robert Byrd's speech on the Constitution? Ah-MAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I think that you talking to those kids about the constitution was just amazing! But what's even more amazing is the fact they were receptive and had questions to boot!

    Great job sir!

    ReplyDelete