17 January 2011

Happy Civil Rights Day!

Happy Civil Rights Day, everyone!

My new classes really also get going today with "week 1" of readings and discussion board assignments. I just finished putting up a post last night on libraries' intgration of government services in emergency situations. You really don't think about how the public library interfaces with so many government services. Libraries have tax forms and help, banks of computers for people who need them to file government claims, and in 2006 were used as a referral point for people to file for Medicare Part B. In Florida, after hurricanes, libraries hand out food and water, serve as emergency meeting points and town halls, and their computers allow people to let their families in other areas know that they're all right. Interesting stuff.

Anyway...

Today I got up to go out and watch my sister perform at the Mesa Civil Rights Parade with her junior high band. The parade is an annual thing, goes about 2 1/2 blocks in the downtown area, and lasts roughly 20-30 minutes. Nothing special, but it was fun to get out and do something different. Plus, I got free breakfast and lunch outta the deal...!

Later this afternoon, I took an hour-long hike by the Salt River. It was about 75 degrees out and sunny, and absolutely perfect for a hike. The trail was nothing fancy - more like a tunnel through the trees to a sandy area about a quarter-mile from parking - but it was nice to get out and enjoy the weather.

Also, all my assignments except my issues paper (on "The Effect of Electronic Record-keeping on US Government Documents) have been graded. I need a 42% on that paper to get an A in the class. Needless to say, I anticipate acing the course. 4.0 GPA still intact... through one class, anyway!

Before I forget, I also bought my ticket to the first ever Spring Training game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies at the brand-spankin'-new Salt River Fields in south Scottsdale! I splurged and bought a nice seat directly behind home plate, nine rows back of the concourse (about 29 rows from the field). Cost me more than I usually spend on a ticket, but I think this one will be special enough to be worth it!

Countdown to Spring Training: 27 days to pitchers and catchers reporting (39 days to the first Cactus League game)!

Can y'all tell I'm EXCITED for baseball season to start again?!?! I've been wasting away splitting my time between football, basketball, and hockey for 3 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment