01 June 2008

Spendin' Saturday with the D-Backs

Yesterday I got to do one of my favorite summertime activities again, namely going to watch the Arizona Diamondbacks take on the Nationals. This time, I went alone save for my scorebook - I do enjoy scoring the games, and I've only missed somewhere around 4 so far this season. The club was also giving away some sweet DBacks duffle bags for the first 25,000 fans in the ballpark, so I got there early and snagged one! The game was GREAT - possibly one of the best I've seen. Brandon Webb pitched a complete game shutout for his tenth win of the season, complete with 8 strikeouts and no walks. Chris Young and Orlando Hudson each hit a homer, and Mark Reynolds blasted two in the game, one a 460-some footer to deep left! In the ninth, Reynolds also showed some major skill with a jumping/diving over the shoulder-behind the back-ish catch out in shallow left field. Possibly the best catch of the season for the team! But not to be outdone, the Nationals' pitcher Bergmann also pitched all 8 innings of his game, and he worked FAST. The game was the quickest in Diamondbacks club history at one hour, 52 minutes, and both teams used a combined (and minimum) 18 players. No pitching changes, no pinch hitters or runners, and no defensive switching. I'm almost glad I only paid $5 for the ticket because the game was shorter than the new "Indiana Jones" movie! Plus, the guy I was sitting next to was pretty cool. We chatted the whole way through the game about baseball. He works now for Boeing, but he used to be a player and scout for some of the minor league teams back in the day. He actually saw the Boston Red Sox go back-to-back-to-back-to-back with homers at Fenway Park last year, and nearly caught a homer by Carl Yastrzemski the year he won the Triple Crown in baseball. Good times, and thanks for bringing some extra fun to the ballpark for me, Boeing Guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment